Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Our New House







We have finally settled into our new house! We love it! It's beautiful; our furniture was made for each room. The kitchen has that air of sophistication necessary for me to concoct the best grilled cheese, tostadas, or stir fry my man can ask for. We updated our electronics and feel certain that our surround sound system is as good as the local theaters. The rope lighting in the dining room casts an intimate glow and awaits a beautiful formal dining room table and chair set...to be bought in a few years! However, any ideas we had about it being low maintenance have flown out the window for now. So far the roof has leaked, the plumbing has backed up, and a phantom cat (or human) peed in out master closet. We have some unwanted house guests too...field mice.

But the warranty company has been spectacular so far. They have remedied every issue we have brought to their attention. And lucky for me, Oscar has been available to give access to the house to all the contractors.

The exterminator put down sticky traps that the mice have managed to avoid. For days we saw no signs of the mice except small presents along the floorboards. Apparently they knew we were onto them and only came out at night to do their bidding. After much anticipation I came home the other day to hear the scampering of a small animal in the laundry room. I screamed for Oscar. Oscar quickly got busy overturning the washer and dryer in search of the "rat." I waited outside the door in anticipation. As I moved the towel from the gap between the door and floor, off the furry guest went. Under the side table, under the couch, across the rug, and into our entertainment system. I tracked the mouse, eager to be rid of the nocturnal pooper. And so it was that we caught (and killed) our first intruder.

The next day Harry Potter found himself stuck to a mouse trap. The entire right side of his hariy black body was covered in a white trap. It was quite amusing to see him trying to bite the trap off of his side. I remembered what I was taught about pulling a Band-Aid off of skin: rip it fast. Note: doesn't work for animals covered in fur. Needless to say, the trap was cut off of Harry. And he was off getting into something different.






No comments: